- Appearance—if the person didn’t make an effort to look nice and attractive for the first date, then it’s an indicator of how that person is, and it’s probably only going to get worse as time goes on.
- Sense of humor—someone who can laugh at a joke or laugh at him/herself. No one wants someone who is so serious about life.
- Good manners—people are usually on their best behavior when they are on a first date, so if his/her manners are lacking, it probably will only get worse as time goes on.
- Interests and passions—while it’s important to have similar passions, it’s also good to have some different interests.
- Chemistry—either physical or psychological chemistry is important, but it doesn’t have to be “knock-your-socks-off” chemistry on the first date. Sometimes chemistry takes time to develop. Great conversation—a conversation that is not one-sided.
- Good listener—someone who is genuinely interested in what you have to say and is engaged.
- Flexibility—someone who is flexible and can compromise.
- He/she constantly complains, is negative or bitter.
- Argumentative about a subject or can’t compromise and see your point of view (especially on a first date!).
- Bad manners.
- If your date keeps looking around at everyone else in the bar/restaurant when you are talking.
- If he/she keeps talking about an ex.
Here is a great list of things to gauge the success of a first date. It is always a great idea to journal about your dates and how you felt on the date. I find that as women we may go out with a guy and have a couple of checks in our spirit about something not being right but will ignore those things hoping for the happy ending. Dating is always an adventure so make sure you only go on the fun adventures and get rid of a man if any of these red flags appear.