Online dating has become a popular venue for people to meet others for romance. It is no surprise that online dating websites have recently enjoyed an increasing number of interested visitors who end up becoming members. To further capture an important segment of the dating market, these websites have narrowed down their focus on a particular group of people. There are now dating websites for seniors, for divorcees, for widows and widowers, and even for people with unique gender or racial preferences. There are now even dating sites on the quirky side based on their hobbies, lifestyle, religion and many others.
All these dating websites may have their own niche markets to focus on. But they all have one thing in common- they aim to help people get to know others like them online. In order for them to do this, they need to create an online dating profile. While people excited about exploring their romantic opportunities by registering on these online dating websites, there are some things that they need to know. The personal information they provide may put them in harm’s way.
Cyber safety has become a serious issue for those in the online dating world. While online dating websites make sure all the sensitive account information of their members remain secure and safe, it is still up to the individual to take an active role in ensuring personal security online. With regards to creating online dating profiles, here are some tips that registering members should consider in order to ensure that they remain safe.
- Make use of a separate third-party email address when creating your online dating profile.
- If possible, use a post office box for your home address if it is needed on the online dating profile. This will be a security measure to prevent others from getting your possible location.
- Enter your mobile phone number instead of your home number when one is required on your online dating profile. In addition, you might also consider changing your mobile phone billing address to a post office number. This is just another precaution in case someone uses your cell phone number to determine where you live.
- Use a dating handle or nickname for your online dating profile. Avoid using your real name that people can see publicly on the dating website.
- When you are now in contact with other people on the dating website, avoid handing out your personal information such as your real name, home address, phone number and other sensitive date just yet. You need to make sure that you are talking to someone who is a genuine and sincere dating site member. This will take some thorough research and back checking if possible. Only provide personal data when you are already comfortable and assured that it is safe to do so.
- Avoid people on the dating site who are trying to pressure or trick you into providing personal or financial information online. Chances are these people are identity thieves who will be using your sensitive personal information in unlawful ways to cheat and steal from you or from others.
- Always be cautious and keep your personal safety in mine every time you are sharing personal information online. It always pays to trust your instincts when you feel uncomfortable or uneasy about providing personal information to someone you just met online.